Saturday 29 July 2017

Ride London Freecycle: Beyond The Bicycle Edition

So, that's another RideLondon Freecycle done and as usual, there was a cracking turnout. I'm going to keep it short this week and let the photos do the talking, but first, a few thoughts.

Perhaps it's because I'm getting more attuned to non-standard and adapted cycles because of some research I have been undertaking recently, but I am convinced there were more out for the event this year than ever before. Of course, there's always some crazy cycles, but there were cargobikes, adapted cycles, recumbents - well, you'll see more in a minute.

I say it ever year, but if you give people proper protection from motor traffic, then they will be out in their droves. Where people feel really safe, you'll see all manner of machines being ridden by all manner of people. So, I give you the Beyond The Bicycle Edition of the Freecycle.




 














 

8 comments:

  1. Good to see the Toddlebike out, complete with official number. I feel a bit of a cheat against your 49 miles. Did just one circuit on Brompton as the rain settled in, but good to be there. Then, seeing my once hourly homeward train into Sussex about to leave I resisted the temptation of the second circuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had planned for the weather, so it was fine; the rain did let off for a while at least!

      Delete
  2. The inclusion of mobility scooters is great, they have many of the same needs as bicycles and can often share infrastructure. With growing use of electric bicycles and mobility scooters it will be interesting to see how regulators incorporate them into the transport mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. We have a stupid legal position that does not permit mobility scooter users to use cycle tracks. That has to change.

      Delete
  3. Very efficiently written article. It will be beneficial to anyone who utilizes it, including myself. Keep up the good work - for sure i will check out more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures tells all the story. Cycling is always adventureous specially with kids.

    ReplyDelete